Information for people working at Community Base
Fire Safety ALWAYS be careful with electricity, making sure electrical sockets are not overloaded and you don't use your own heaters or interfere with electrical wiring - report any concern about wiring or electrical equipment to our receptionist immediately
• ALWAYS keep corridors clear of rubbish, cardboard, furniture, bikes or anything else
• NEVER keep piles of cardboard or other potentially inflammable material in your office - recycle it!
• NEVER wedge fire doors open - fire doors held open by magnets should not be closed as they will shut automatically when the fire alarm is activated.
When the fire alarm sounds you should follow our FIRE EVACUATION PROCEDURE - immediately leave the building by the nearest fire exit, without using a lift, and go to the fire assembly point south along Queens Road by Brighthelm Gardens. You should not return to the building until told to do so by the Fire Service or Community Base staff. We test the fire alarm on Friday mornings causing the fire alarm to sound for a few seconds - if the alarm sounds for more than a few seconds you should follow the fire evacuation procedure.
Safety and security ALWAYS tell us if you lose your access card so our receptionist can bar it and give you a new one - free!
• ALWAYS ask us before making any changes to your workplace - drilling, electrical work, putting up shelves. It might seem safe, but could be dangerous!
• NEVER let anyone you don't know into Community Base even if you feel a bit rude for refusing - and make it easy for others by not expecting someone you don't know to let you in
• NEVER use the building between 10.30pm and 7.30am (or the car park between 11pm and 7am) as our intruder alarm will be activated and the police will be called.
There are FIRST AID KITS at reception and in the South Wing conference room kitchen. The names of trained first aiders at Community Base are underlined in the Community Base internal phone directory.
If you have any concerns about fire safety or safety and security you should contact our receptionist on extension 200 or (01273) 234000 or if reception is closed our security company SSG on 0870 608 1881.
Telling us about problems and accidents
If you have a problem with anything at Community Base - phones, plumbing, meeting room equipment, anything - you should ask our receptionist to log it in our maintenance log. We will give you a number for the problem you report and make sure we let you know before we treat the problem as sorted. We aim to deal with all problems quickly and efficiently - but we can't fix it if you don't tell us!
You should report any accident at Community Base to our receptionist. We will record the accident in our accident book and take whatever steps we can to prevent similar accidents in the future.