West Sussex Youth Justice Service (YJS) is a high performing multi-agency statutory partnership which provides services before and after Court to meet the statutory requirements of the youth justice system. Its primary aim is to prevent offending and reduce reoffending by children.
What does the opportunity involve doing?
1. Support and assist the young person
2. Ensure the young person understands their rights
3. Ensure that the police act fairly and respect the rights of the young person
4. Ensure effective communication between the young person, police and others
5. Raise any concerns around the safety and well-being of the young person
What induction, training and support is offered?
Benefits/commitment to the Volunteer:
1.The chance to gain first-hand experience of police procedures and the youth justice system
2.Full training, ongoing support and role development sessions
3.Reimbursement of transport cost and/or mileage allowance
4. WSCC Public Liability Insurance
What skills or qualities are needed?
Selection criteria/skills required:
1. Over 19 years old
2. Live within a 30-minute journey of chosen custody suite (either Worthing or Crawley)
3. An interest in, and empathy for, young people
4. Non-judgemental attitude
5. Good communication skills
6. Ability to be appropriately assertive
7. Professional approach to the role
8. Able to respect and operate within service policies and procedures
9. Commitment to, and engagement with ongoing support, training and development
10th November 2022
Bridge House, Barrington Lane, Goring By Sea
Deadline for applications
3 Nov 2023
Children/families Prisoners, offenders and their families Young people