Volunteering Matters is a national charity creating and supporting volunteer-led projects across the UK. Our Lifelines project focuses on activities and support for people over-50 across the city, with the aim of improving health and wellbeing, as well as combating loneliness and isolation.
What does the opportunity involve doing?
We are looking for enthusiastic, committed and creative volunteers who want to run a regular session for over-50s in the Brighton and Hove area. We run many different groups: from exercise sessions, arts and craft activities to singing, dancing, Bridge and various other flavours of board game.
Currently we are looking for someone to run a Reminiscence group; passionate cinephiles who would like to host a movie afternoon/evening; anyone who is able to run activity classes and someone to host a singing group. We are also very open to your ideas, so if you think you could run a session that is not listed here, we want to hear from you!
You must be based in or very close to the Brighton and Hove area in order to hold a weekly or fortnightly session in the city.
Outline of responsibilities:
- Running a regular session (either weekly or fortnightly) and keeping Lifelines staff informed of any weeks of holiday, etc in good time, in order that attendees can be notified
- Setting up and packing away the activity, being aware of the different support needs that attendees might have and of health and safety best practice
- Where appropriate collecting data (registers of attendance/surveys) and money for the session and storing it safely/passing on to a member of Lifelines staff
- Being aware of any safeguarding issues that might arise and reporting these back if you have any concerns
What induction, training and support is offered?
What we will provide you with:
- We will provide you with full training for the role
- We will provide the necessary equipment to carry out the role
- We will pay for reasonable expenses such as mileage
- Opportunities to meet and socialise with other volunteers
- The opportunity to use your skills and experience to improve the lives of others
We provide a full induction; training on crucial areas such as safeguarding and other training opportunities as and when available. We offer ongoing support and supervision and will attend the initial sessions of any activity to help you get started and feel confident leading the group.
What skills or qualities are needed?
- An interest in working with older people
- The ability to confidently lead a group activity (with the support of another volunteer if appropriate/available) and to support the attendees to participate fully
- Good levels of self-organisation and reliability
- Able to commit to volunteering for a period of at least 3 months
18th October 2022
Deadline for applications
31 Oct 2023
Arts/music Other activities Sports/games
Will / Theresa Anjos / McIvor
01273 688 117 (answerphone only; someone will get back to you)