The Students' Union is a charity, separate from the University. We are here to represent all students, ensuring student voices are heard and responded to by the University. We exist to improve the student experience, and we do this by running sports clubs, supporting student societies, putting on student events, providing bars, cafes, shops, student lettings, jobs, and a lot more - all for our students!
What does the opportunity involve doing?
The University of Sussex Students’ Union is looking for motivated and experienced individuals to become Trustees of the Union, helping to manage the strategy and finances of the organisation, whilst providing a solid structure of expertise, experience and support to the elected student officers to ensure that the Students’ Union will be able to deliver positive change for its members year after year.
Trustees have and must accept ultimate responsibility for directing the affairs of a charity and ensuring that it is solvent, well-run and delivering the charitable outcomes for the benefit of
As a Trustee, you will be required to:
• Attend between seven and nine meetings a year, as well as one or more training/induction sessions. This will include the Board meetings and any sub-committees to which you are appointed.
• Prepare for Board meetings by reading through materials and Board papers beforehand.
• Keep in regular contact with the other Trustees and provide feedback and input on issues when they arise.
For more details, please download our Trustee Information Pack at https://sussex.staffsavvy.me/apply/position/n-a-2021
What induction, training and support is offered?
The Students’ Union will also provide training and a one-day induction in order to support your role. All expenses incurred as a result of the business undertaken on behalf of the Students’ Union will be reimbursed.
What skills or qualities are needed?
Skills and abilities (Essential):
- Offer challenge to management and officers
- Use your skills to help advance the Students’ Union
- Be a critical friend to the Students’ Union
- Be able to hold and justify an opinion/view, using evidence/analysis
- Listen and learn in debate and discussion
- Be an advocate for the Students’ Union
- Be able to network on behalf of the Students’ Union
Knowledge and experience
- Experience of working at a board level and of governance (Essential)
- Experience of the students’ union movement (Desirable)
Have expertise in one or more of the following (Essential):
- Social policy campaigning and advocacy
- Equalities and diversity legislation and/or experience of anti-racist campaigning
- Digital communications with regard to membership engagement
- Democratic governance
- Accounting and finance for charity sector organisations
- Company and/or charity law
- Human Resources Management
Personal attributes (Essential):
- Value student leadership; understand the importance of students actively shaping
how we operate and what we do
- Being friendly and respectful of others in order to maintain a safe and considerate
- Being honest, open and supportive of others, empowering others to be fulfilled in
- Being progressive, valuing equality, diversity and inclusion, ethics and the
- Act with integrity
Deadline for applications
5 Feb 2021
Other groups Young people