FareShare Sussex exists to fight hunger, tackle food waste and develop volunteers. FareShare
Sussex is a highly successful enterprise at an exciting point of development and expansion. The charity
is registered with the charity commission 1093245 and is an incorporated limited company, registration
number 04298200. The charity is registered as City Gate Community Projects and trading under the
franchise name FareShare Sussex, which it holds from FareShare UK to operate in Sussex and Surrey.
What does the opportunity involve doing?
To ensure that proper financial records and reports are prepared and financial procedures are fit for
purpose and implemented to enable the Board to:
● Maintain an overview of the charity’s financial affairs.
● Ensure the organisation is financial viability and sustainable.
● Meet all legal and regulatory requirements
Responsibility to: Trustees of City Gate Community Projects (t/a FareShare Sussex
To support the Board and SMT to ensure:
● FareShare Sussex applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objectives.
● The proper investment of the charity's funds.
● The Trustees reach sound financial decisions.
● Oversee the preparation and presentation of budgets, accounts and financial statements.
● Ensuring that the charity has an appropriate reserves policy.
● Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place.
● Liaising with the Senior management team about financial matters for onward communication to
staff and volunteers.
● Advising on the financial implications of FareShare Sussex’s strategic plans.
● Ensuring that there is no conflict between any future investment held and the aims and objects of
● Ensuring FareShare Sussex's compliance with legislation.
● Ensuring that the accounts and reports are prepared in good time for board meetings,
committees and auditing purposes and any recommendations are implemented.
● Keeping the Trustees informed about their financial duties
What induction, training and support is offered?
As a new trustee you'd have an induction process and for the treasurer element they'd be good training and support as needed.
Currently, the finances are managed by a finance officer who does the book-keeping on Xero, the chair
of the board with some oversight from the CEO, and an Independent Examiner who prepares our
year-end accounts. The trustees are looking for a volunteer to take up the role of Treasurer to replace
the chair’s involvement to improve accountability and scrutiny of the financial procedures, their
operation, and reporting to the Board of Trustees.
What skills or qualities are needed?
● A financial qualification would be an advantage and experience of charity finance.
● Commitment to the values of FareShare Sussex.
● Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort.
● Understanding and experience of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
● Willingness to be available to staff and trustees for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis via
email and telephone.
Deadline for applications
30 Apr 2021
An environmental project Children/families Community and social centres Homeless people Older people People with drugs/alcohol problems
Administration/finance/fundraising Being a committee member/trustee