Grassroots is a UK leader in suicide prevention. We have a simple but powerful goal: no one should have to contemplate suicide alone. Based in Brighton, we give people the skills, confidence, and resources to effectively support someone at risk of suicide, experiencing a mental health problem, or someone who self-harms. Our training, digital tools like the StayAlive app, and anti-stigma campaigns empower communities to save lives.
What does the opportunity involve doing?
This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing team and gain valuable experience at a leading mental health charity. As a Community Engagement and Fundraising Volunteer, you will support Grassroots with a wide range of activities and events. You will lead communications with some of our supporters and donors, gaining customer relationship experience and generating vital funds. You will support project management for fundraising events, and use your creativity and initiative to support the development of new opportunities. You will also lead on certain administrative and research tasks within the Fundraising team and wider organisation.
Supervisor: Development Manager
Hours: 0.5-2 days per week – as agreed with volunteer
Duration: 3 months minimum
Location: From home and from our central Brighton office
What’s in it for you?
• Make a difference in the fight against suicide
• Join a friendly and growing team of passionate staff and volunteers
• Attend free suicide prevention and mental health first aid training
• Gain knowledge of fundraising and charity administration – excellent for your CV
• Gain customer relationship experience
• Develop your interpersonal and research skills
• Experience using a database and working in an office environment
What induction, training and support is offered?
• All volunteers receive a comprehensive induction to Grassroots Suicide Prevention and relevant policies to their role
• Suicide prevention and mental health first aid training
• Reasonable travel/mileage and lunch/refreshments expenses in line with our volunteer expenses policy
What skills or qualities are needed?
• Interest in protecting people and their communities from suicide, self-harm, and mental health problems
• Good interpersonal and communication skills
• Administrative skills and ability to prioritise tasks
• Research skills (desirable)
• Database entry experience (desirable)
• Graphic design/comms materials experience (desirable)
How to apply
Email a cover letter explaining why you’d like to join Grassroots (two pages or less) and CV to email@example.com. If we invite you to interview, we will ask for two references.
There is no application deadline – we are recruiting on a rolling basis.More info
14th October 2021
Deadline for applications
22 Jan 2022
People with mental health problems
Administration/finance/fundraising Research/media/campaigning Volunteering as part of a team