HOMELINK was set up in the late 1990s in response to rapidly increasing homelessness, to help people who are homeless, or threatened with homelessness, by organising a local interest-free rent deposit scheme.
Working with Lewes District Council (LDC) and other agencies we offer interest-free loans to cover the deposit and rent in advance, to help those who LDC has no duty to house into private rented accommodation.
What does the opportunity involve doing?
Lewes District Churches HOMELINK is seeking to recruit a trustee who would act as the charity’s Honorary Treasurer.
We currently have 11 Trustees with a varied range of skills and experience, 5 members of staff (part-time) and are supported by a group of dedicated volunteers. Please visit our website to find out more about us – https://leweshomelink.org.uk/
As a full member of the Board of Trustees, the Treasurer acts as the Board’s principal financial adviser, and ensures that accurate and up-to-date financial records are maintained. This role is fully supported by a part-time (paid) financial assistant/bookkeeper.
Our aim is for the next Treasurer to be appointed as a trustee in the Spring, to allow plenty of time for handover and to get to know the workings of HOMELINK.
What induction, training and support is offered?
The next Treasurer will work closely with the outgoing Hon Treasurer and other HOMELINK staff and volunteers for a period of approximately 3 months to ensure an effective handover of responsibilities.
What skills or qualities are needed?
The following role description sets out the main areas covered by the current Treasurer, who is retiring in July 2021, but the trustees are open to reallocating parts of the role to be undertaken in other ways, if appropriate.
1. Purpose of Role
As a full member of the Board of Trustees, to act as the Board’s principal financial adviser and to ensure that professional, accurate and up-to-date records are maintained of all the charity’s receipts, payments, assets and liabilities.
2. Responsibilities and Tasks
• To be a member of the Board of Trustees in accordance with the trustees’ role description
and to provide regular reports on the charity’s financial position
• To be a member of the charity’s Management Committee
• To advise on the financial implications of policies and proposals
• To provide guidance and advice as line manager to the Finance Assistant, who maintains
routine accounting arrangements on the Xero accounting platform
• To monitor the use and suitability of the charity’s bank accounts
• To prepare the charity’s draft Annual Report & Accounts for independent examination
and to present them at the annual meeting of supporters
• To be the charity’s Charity Commission contact and to submit annual reports & accounts
• To monitor activity on payroll, pensions and gift aid, and act as contact with HMRC
• To liaise with the charity’s insurers and to arrange for policy renewals when due
• To liaise as appropriate with donors, supporters a
Deadline for applications
31 Mar 2021
Administration/finance/fundraising Being a committee member/trustee