Umbrella Brighton & Hove (‘the Organisation’) has been running since the end of 2016 and became a Community Interest Company in November 2017. It was set up by a small voluntary team with a passion for helping the homeless and those in supported housing who have been homeless in our city.
The Organisation’s objective is to help those who are ready to move into homes in the private rented sector by:
• helping them in their search for a suitable home;
• providing interest free loans to finance deposits; and
• giving transitional support, via an external partner, as they settle into their new home.
What does the opportunity involve doing?
This is a key role as the person will be leading the fundraising efforts of the organisation by (a) applying to trusts/foundations and (b) developing and implementing community and individual giving using, where appropriate, digital marketing techniques.
Trusts and foundations
• To identify on an on-going basis suitable trusts/foundations that have the potential to make grants preferably on a multi-year funding basis
• To continue to evolve and finesse as necessary our core proposal/proposition to trusts and foundations using compelling case studies from Clients who have used our services
• To help manage and nurture the relationships with the trusts and foundations so that they endure in the long term
Community and Individual giving
• To develop and implement a strategy that seeks to obtain donations through community fundraising and individual giving
• Utilisation of digital marketing techniques is likely to be an important part of the strategy
The Fundraising Manager will work particularly with directors so that they understand the key issues affecting fundraising but will also utilise the experience and knowledge of all the organisation’s personnel.
What induction, training and support is offered?
An induction programme will be developed tailored to meet the needs of the individual.
What skills or qualities are needed?
• A fundraising manager ideally, but not necessarily, from the voluntary sector
• Knowledge of charities who give grants to organisations involved in the homelessness sector
• Managing and nurturing external relationships
• Some knowledge of digital marketing
• Used to working as part of a team and managing to deadlines
Skills and Attributes
• a team player
• communication skills
• attention to detail
• persuasive and enthusiastic
• above all, a passion for helping the homeless.
Deadline for applications
26 Feb 2021
Peter Hiscock - Chair of Umbrella Brighton & Hove CIC