The Girls' Network is an award-winning charity which aims to inspire and empower 14-19 year old girls from the least advantaged communities by connecting them to a mentor and a network of professional role models who are women.
What does the opportunity involve doing?
We are looking for women who have 3+ years experience of the workplace, who have time and willingness to support a girl from one of the least-advantaged communities in Brighton and Hove, and who want to support a girl to overcome obstacles and seize opportunities. Mentoring is an amazing way to share your experience and skills with a girl who may not otherwise benefit from this support. It is also a great way to show a teenage girl that you believe in her, and that she is worth investing time in. This is a powerful combination, and one that we have seen transform the lives of girls and young women again and again.
What we ask from our mentors:
- To attend a mentor training event
- To mentor a girl for 10 x 1 hour sessions over the course of a year
- To make the necessary preparations for your sessions
- To attend a celebration event with your mentee at the end of the year
What induction, training and support is offered?
- Intensive training to prepare you to be the best possible mentor
- Regular opportunities to learn and develop skills
- Access to resources for use in your sessions
- Monthly mentor drop-ins
- Online forums connecting you to regional and national networks of other women
What skills or qualities are needed?
- Able to relate well to others
- Good at working through problems
- Committed and reliable
- Able to provide insight from your personal experiences
Deadline for applications
31 Jan 2022
Advocacy/advice Befriending Other activities Teaching/training