Umbrella Brighton & Hove (‘the Organisation’) has been running since the end of 2016 and became a Community Interest Company in November 2017. It was set up by a small voluntary team with a passion for helping the homeless and those in supported housing who have been homeless in our city.
The Organisation’s objective is to help those who are ready to move into homes in the private rented sector by:
• helping them in their search for a suitable home;
• providing interest free loans to finance deposits; and
• giving transitional support, via an external partner, as they settle into their new home.
What does the opportunity involve doing?
Lead the day-to-day operations (excluding Finance and fundraising) and be an active player at Board level in the formulation and execution of the strategy of the Organisation.
• To be at the centre of what Umbrella does for homeless people by managing a team of two or more people who assess client tenancy readiness, search for suitable properties; help with the loan application process; and provide initial resettlement support and, depending on need, continuing resettlement support.
• Together with the Finance Director approve all new loans.
• Review and enhance as necessary processes and procedures to ensure the organisation meets good business and regulatory standards
• Lead the development and management of key relationships with (a) referral partners such as Southdown Housing Association, and St Mungo’s and (b) Brighton & Hove City Council.
• As a director to be part of the Board of Directors who are responsible for the strategy and overall direction of the Organisation.
• To represent and promote Umbrella Brighton & Hove at events and forums.
What induction, training and support is offered?
An induction programme will be tailored to suit the needs of the successful applicant. Full support will be provided by the Chair and Finance Director.
What skills or qualities are needed?
• Senior leader in an organisation
• Direct line management of people including volunteers
• Managing and nurturing external relationships
• Used to working as part of a team
• Background in the Health and Social Care Sector
Skills and Attributes
• a team player
• communication skills
• attention to detail
• strategic thinking
• emotional intelligence
• desire for continuous improvement
• comfortable with getting involved with detail as well as high level decision making
• above all, a passion for helping the homeless.
Deadline for applications
26 Feb 2021
Administration/finance/fundraising Being a committee member/trustee Other activities Volunteering in a charity shop
Peter Hiscock - Chair of Umbrella Brighton & Hove CIC