Spiral Sussex has been operating for 20 years, expanding to fill the growing gap left by defunded local services, and gives clients opportunities to socialise, have fun and build skills whilst allowing their carers respite.
Such services are essential to improving and maintaining the wellbeing and mental health of local people with disabilities and those who care for them.
The activities available are holidays and day trips, a range of sports and dance with Spiral Jets and the Flashback Dance Crew, daytime activities such as arts and crafts and singing at the Goodlife Day Centre in Bevendean, and a media centre also in Bevendean where clients make music, films and radio shows on Spiral Wave Radio.
What does the opportunity involve doing?
We are looking for volunteers to help with activities for adults with learning difficulties at our day centre in Bevendean.
These activities include arts and crafts, radio shows, music sessions, filming, photography, day trips and more! Experience in care and support work is preferable.
We will aim to provide transport as and where possible, as well as expenses.
What induction, training and support is offered?
Volunteers will be given mentoring and relevant training on the job, including supported online training in:
- Health and safety
- First aid
- Supporting adults with learning difficulties
What skills or qualities are needed?
- You will need to be kind, caring and patient.
- You will need to be able to follow instructions to ensure the safety and wellbeing of clients, particularly where coronavirus health and safety precautions are involved.
- You will need to be reliable and able to commit to volunteering for Spiral Sussex for at least 3 months.
- Experience of working in care is preferred but not essential as some service users require personal care, depending what rooms or activities you are supporting access to.More info
21st October 2020
Deadline for applications
30 Nov 2021
An arts group Carers Disabled people Older people People with health problems People with mental health problems Young people
Arts/music Caring/play Volunteering as part of a team