Volunteering Matters is a national charity creating and supporting volunteer-led projects across the UK. Our Lifelines project focuses on activities and support for people aged over 50 across the city, with the aim of improving health and wellbeing, as well as combating loneliness and isolation.
What does the opportunity involve doing?
To provide support to the volunteer Activity Lead in the running of a regular activity for people aged over 50 in the Brighton and Hove area. Our activities are really varied and range from Line Dancing to Quizzes to Singing and Exercising and much in between. We are also always keen to try out new activities and have organised things such as ‘Snacking on Shakespeare’, Dungeons and Dragons and recently a Tabletop ‘Escape Room’ style puzzle game. We are looking for someone who likes engaging with people, loves a chat and is happy to help with the set-up and smooth running of one or more of our activities in the Brighton area.
Outline of responsibilities:
- Supporting the Activity Lead to set-up the activity and pack down/clean up at the end
- Interacting with attendees; being sociable, friendly and welcoming, especially to those who are attending for the first time(s) and may be more nervous
- Taking data where necessary (this could include registers of attendance or surveys as and when required)
- Taking money if the activity has a cost and storing it safely / banking it
What induction, training and support is offered?
What we will provide you with:
- We will provide you with full training for the role
- We will provide the necessary equipment to carry out the role
- We will pay for reasonable expenses such as mileage
- Opportunities to meet and socialise with other volunteers
- The opportunity to use your skills and experience to improve the lives of others
We will provide you with a full induction and training on crucial areas such as safeguarding. Other training opportunities will be provided as and when available. We will support and supervise you throughout your volunteering and you will be working with the Activity Lead who will also support you to carry out the requirements of the role.
What skills or qualities are needed?
- An interest in working with people aged 50 and over
- Good levels of self-organisation and reliability
- A positive attitude and desire to throw
- Able to commit to volunteering for a period of at least 3 months
- Two professional references
18th October 2022
Deadline for applications
31 Oct 2023
Arts/music Other activities Sports/games Volunteering as part of a team
Will / Theresa Anjos / McIvor
01273 688 117 (answerphone only; someone will get back to you)