• To provide emotional, practical and Christian spiritual support to women in difficulty or crisis, in one-to-one and group settings. This includes home visits, meetings in the community, drop-in sessions, courses and workshops.
• To manage a caseload of women who have multiple/ complex support needs, including issues around safeguarding and risk.
• To assist the manager with the day to day running of the service.
• To deputise for the manager as required. This includes making decisions related to the day to day running of the service in the manager’s absence, and attending management meetings.
• To manage the referrals process and to carry out assessments. These may be face to face, by phone or via Zoom.
• To respond appropriately to concerns and safeguarding issues raised by women and the team. This includes making referrals or signposting to other crisis/ specialist services.
• To assist the manager in supporting and supervising the team of Support Workers, interns and volunteers. This includes leading prayer meetings, debriefing sessions, responding to issues as they arise, and allocation of tasks.
• To assist the team with leading and running group activities, including drop in sessions, courses and workshops.
• To maintain accurate written records, following General Data Protection Regulations, using a client record management system (Charity Log).
• To contribute to the review and development of Gateway’s services, including the redevelopment of the Gateway building. To suggest potential ideas for growth and development.
• To undertake training as required.
• To attend regular Gateway team meetings, prayer meetings, Off the Fence staff meetings, supervisions and annual appraisals.
• To perform any other duties as may reasonably be required.
Essential qualities and experience:
• To formally agree with the Christian statement of faith that has been adopted by Off the Fence.
• At least 1 year’s work experience in a support worker role or similar.
• Ability to express and demonstrate appropriately the love of God in a support setting.
• A non-judgemental approach to supporting women from all faiths and none.
• Ability to support women in difficulty or crisis, including those who have experienced trauma, using woman-centred approaches.
• Experience in supporting people with mental health issues, including knowledge of suicide prevention strategies.
• Knowledge of safeguarding procedures, and experience of using them.
• Ability to confidently deputise for the manager as required.
• Excellent interpersonal, listening and communication skills.
• An empowering and approachable attitude.
• Strong time management and organisational skills, with the ability to work well under pressure.
• Ability to lead Christian themed groups, and to offer one-to-one prayer and other spiritual support to women and the team, within the Christian ethos of Off the Fence.
• Excellent administrative skills, including strong IT skills.
• Ability to work under supervision and within specified boundaries.
• Ability to use your own initiative.
• Ability to seek support and advice when required, and to practice self-care.
• Ability to work as part of a small team of staff and volunteers.
• Ability to strictly follow Off the Fence policies and procedures including confidentiality, safeguarding, lone working, equality and diversity, health and safety and Covid policies.
• To be willing to undertake training as required, and to attend regular Gateway team meetings, Off the Fence team meetings, prayer meetings, supervisions and annual appraisals.
Desirable qualities and experience:
• Experience in supporting people with all or some of the following issues: domestic abuse, isolation, financial issues, bereavement, substance use, housing, and other issues relevant to our service users.
• Knowledge and experience of working in a trauma informed way.
• Experience of supervising teams and/ or individuals.
• Experience of carrying out assessments.
• Experience of lone working eg making home visits.
• Experience of leading group activities and/ or courses.
• Understanding of Off the Fence and its work in Brighton & Hove.
Please note this post is only open to female applicants as being female is deemed to be a genuine occupational requirement under Schedule 9, Paragraph 1 of the Equality Act 2010.More info